We Learn Truth From The Word
Later we will find out what happened when Moses came down from the mountain. But first, let’s think about the basic content of the messages which God gave to Moses. There is space in this course to mention these truths only very briefly. Therefore, we will give an outline of the main points. This will answer some important questions for you. Also, it will help you make a more complete study later of the Torah, and other sacred writings. You will find such a study very interesting and helpful. Try to get copies of the Torah, the Psalms, and the Gospels.
Truths Revealed in the Torah
1. We are to worship no god but God. God is one. There is no other.
We are not to worship any saints, angels, nor any other person whatsoever.
We are not to have idols of any sort. The Torah speaks it plainly: “You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them.”
When anything takes the place of God in our hearts we create a form of idolatry. Money, land, or 12 other possessions may become idols to us if we care more about them than we do about God.
2. God renewed His covenant with His people, and promised to bless them as long as they would serve Him faithfully.
3. God calls men and nations to understand, believe, and obey His commandments.
In order to form a suitable foundation for all His messages to mankind, God prepared the Torah. It gives a clear and unified statement of His laws and His ways of working with people. Thus it is:
- The basis of all other Scriptures.
- The basis for human relationships with God and among people; the key to successful living.
4. God gave specific instructions for the use of sacrifice as a symbolic ceremony. The sacrifice of innocent animals showed that sin brings death and God requires that there be a penalty. By making the ceremonial sacrifice, man could show that he understood this, and that he had faith in God to forgive sin.
5. Furthermore, it pointed to a mystery in God’s plan for intervening Himself on behalf of man’s sinful condition and spiritual separation. Remember the substitute sacrifice that ransomed Abraham’s son? Remember the substitute sacrifice that ransomed the people of Moses from the plague? The institution of the animal sacrifices would continually remind the people of the Perfect Substitute Sacrifice that God Himself would provide for the freeing of all humanity from the bondage of sin and the deadly plague of hell.
The revelation given to Moses was a beginning, to point to the future. It helps us understand the plan of God to reveal Himself to us in a complete and perfect manner if we will listen carefully and obey His word.
For You To Do
Circle all of the following statements which are FALSE. Then write a correction of that statement.
- No idols or saints are to be worshipped.
- The Psalms and the Gospels are based on the messages of Moses.
- All idols are images made of materials such as wood, stone, or metal.