Dr. Wayne Goodall speaks about how to deal with problems within the family
Hello my name is Dr. Wayde Goodall and I want to thank you for listening to me as I talk to you about the “Reasons Why Some Marriages Fall Apart.” I talk about marriage all the time. And I’m with people in all different kinds of cultures around the world. And what an honor it is for me to talk to you and others about this critical topic of marriage problems.
First of all I want you to understand every marriage has challenges. Every marriage has difficulties because marriage is comprised of two people of very different personalities, very different giftings. Two people that are independent and they decide to come together and be married for the rest of their life. Well this can cause conflict because you understand that even where you live, neighbors don’t always get along. People in business don’t always get along.
But there are some things that you can do where you can understand how to eliminate most of the problems. I often say that success leaves clues. So does failure. Failure leaves clues. So one of the things I try to do in my life is follow successful clues. One of the greatest clues that you can understand in life is reading the Bible that’s about success. If you do this you will succeed. If you don’t do that you’ll fail. So I read the Bible all the time. One of its verses in the book of Proverbs chapter 16, verse 3 it says bring all your requests to the Lord give them to Him and he will make you succeed. So you can do successful things.
Now let me tell you some of the reasons why there are marriage problems.
- One of the reasons is selfish demands. If you only want your way and never want his way or her way in your marriage and you’re just being selfish, you know what? That’s going to cause problems. Try to think this way. I want to help fulfill their needs in their life. I want to make them be more successful. If you give 100 percent of you to them, very likely your husband or wife are going to give 100 percent back to you.
- Disrespectful judgments. If you’re constantly disrespecting your wife or your husband, this will cause problems and so we need to be accepting and forgiving in our marriage. If we constantly have angry outbursts every time they talk to us, if we’re responding with anger or if we’re treating them in an angry way, that’s not a good thing to do. The Bible says in fact, be angry but don’t sin. Don’t let the sun go down on your anger. In other words get over it if you’re angry. Forgive this person and let it go away because your anger will only injure your marriage and your relationship.
- Or if you have annoying habits that constantly bother your spouse, your husband or your wife, annoying habits are things that we can change in our life. Things that are rude, things that are inappropriate. Don’t do those things and bring further irritation to a marriage.
- Or another one if we’re acting independently all the time, we’re just living life on our own. Realize this, that your marriage is a team relationship. My wife and I often times say, and we’ve been married over 35 years, that we’re a team. We are in agreement. Although we disagree on something, we’re going to come together and we’re going to operate as a team. We’re not going to be against each other. We’re going to work together.
- And the last thing I want to mention is dishonesty can really cause problems in marriage. Marriage is based on truth. We tell each other the truth. We don’t have affairs. We don’t lie to the other person. We’re not dishonest about what we do, where we go. You see God wants you to have a relationship in marriage where you trust this person. You tell them the truth. They do the same to you. You believe in each other. When you do these very easy things, you know God will do? He’ll bless your marriage in ways that you would never expect. Trust Him to help you. Do the right thing and remember what I said. Success leaves clues and so does failure. There is some very good reasons why some marriages make it and some don’t.
My name is Dr Wayde Goodall, thank you for listening to me today. I’ll see you another time.
I want to thank you for listening to me as I’ve talked to you about your family. And I also want to remind you that God created your family and God created you. The best way to make your life work is to be connected to your creator. The scripture tells us that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead you will be saved. When you do this you’ll get connected to the creator. I want to pray with you right now to be connected to the one that created you and your family. Would you pray with me?
Father, I give my life to Jesus Christ today. Help me to be different. I believe that he died for me and he rose physically from the dead. I ask you to forgive me of my sins. Thank you and I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen
Now if you’ve prayed that prayer with me and you want to pray even more with another person, hit “yes” on your computer screen and you’ll be able to pray with another person. If you have more questions, and all of us have questions, God’s good with your questions, I want you to hit another button, “I still have more questions.” We would be thrilled to answer you. Thank you for praying with me today.
God bless you. I’m Dr. Wayde Goodall.