God has placed us as His people into a ‘family’.
In fact, that is my favorite way that the church is defined. We are not just ‘a’ family. We are God’s family. We can call God our Father. We belong to Him and we belong to one another.
One of the mega-benefits of being a part of God’s family has to do with having someone to stand with us, protect us, guide us, and strengthen us. Having a ‘spiritual covering’ in your life has to do with being properly submitted to and connected with someone who is committed to care for and oversee your life.
Jesus encountered a soldier who had an understanding of the impact of this type of relationship within the spiritual realm: (the soldier said to Jesus), ‘I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.” (Matthew 8:9-10)
When you are properly submitted to someone else who is healthy, strong, and able to impart something good to you – you gain several things:
- #1 – PROTECTION – When the darkness comes at you, they discover you are not alone. Someone is standing with you in prayer and believing God with you for victory.
- #2 – WISDOM – Proverbs teaches us that we find greater wisdom in an abundance of good counsel.
- #3 – RESTORATION – God’s method of restoring us when we need it is always loving, supportive relationships.
- #4 – CREDIBILITY – It’s easier to trust someone who is properly submitted. Being submitted reveals teachability and humility.
- #5 – ENCOURAGEMENT – Often the Holy Spirit uses those who we are submitted to – to lift us.
- #6 – CORRECTION – it’s also easier to hear about something that needs to change from those who have proven to us that they care and that they are capable.
- #7 – IMPARTATION – when we select the right person to be our covering, we gain a portion of the anointing that is upon them.
Everyone needs to be submitted to someone. So who is it in your life?