Day 4: I Am AfraidAuthor: Pastor Larry & Pat Downing
LET’S CHANGE IT TODAY
1. Meditate on the fact that God’s Word is true. In John 17:17, Jesus said, “Thy Word is truth.” What God says is fact—whether you feel it, see it, or have ever experienced it.
2. Consider God’s track record. 1 Kings 8:56 says, “. . . Every word has come true of all His good promise . . .” (NLV). Fear leaves when you can rely on something that can’t fail. God has never failed to fulfill His promises. There are over 1000 predictions or prophecies in the Bible—promises that God made before they happened. The chances of merely 17 of these coming to pass is 1 out of 450 billion x 1 billion x 1 trillion! Yet, not one of these promises has failed.
3. Accept the truth that what we fear comes upon us. In Job 3:25, Job feared that his children would curse God, and that’s what happened. When you realize fear has the power to produce negative results, you stop dabbling in it. When a child learns what fire can do, he no longer plays with matches!
4. Perfect love casts out fear. (1 John 4:18) Flood your mind with thoughts of love—God’s love for you, and what He was willing to do to rescue you. If He would die for you, while you were in sin and separated from God, there’s just nothing He wouldn’t do for you! Think on that, and fear will leave.
5. There is a promise from God’s Word for every need you will ever experience. In fact, there are over 7000 promises in the Bible. That’s 7000 solutions to life’s problems! For example, there is a promise of protection in Psalm 91:1–12, which delivers you from the fear of evil, sickness, or tragedy.
6. Pause and dwell on the fact that God is with you. God’s presence is the secret to a fear-free life. Ultimately, all fear is a sense of God’s absence or our separation from God. By contrast, a sense of God’s presence delivers us from fear. Hebrews 10:19 says, “We are in His presence by the blood of Jesus.” You are in His presence now—therefore, fear not!
THINK IT AND SAY IT
God’s Word is true, whether I feel it or not. He has kept all of His promises and has never failed. I am in God’s presence by the blood of Jesus; therefore, because He is with me, I will fear no evil! God loves me perfectly, which casts out all my fear. I have power, love, and a sound mind, in Jesus’ Name!
Pastor Larry & Pat Downing
Foothills Community Church
Collections of thoughts from varied sources
Scripture verses from KJV or NIV unless specified